Frequently Asked Questions
Sansu Math® is a rigorous Japanese primary mathematics series for grades 1-5. It's based on the most widely used math curriculum in Japan, and has been adapted to serve North American teachers and students while maintaining the integrity of the original program.
- Emphasizes depth over breadth
- Instills conceptual understanding
- Introduces new content in the context of story problems
- Promotes Teaching Through Problem Solving (TTPS): students solve problems creatively, explain the thinking process, understand multiple solution strategies, and identify key mathematical ideas
- Supports teachers
- Helps students develop good habits and practices through note taking and communication
- Provides continuity as concepts develop across grade levels
Sansu Math® is published by Koyo Publishing Inc®, an independent publishing company.
What grade levels does Sansu Math® cover?
Sansu Math® covers grades 1-5.
What are the components of Sansu Math®?
There is one textbook and one teacher's guide for each level. Each teacher's guide consists of two books. The teacher's guides are spiral-bound wraparound guides.
Will there be additional workbooks and assessment books?
We will release workbooks and assessment books in the near future.
Is this series written for schools or homeschoolers?
Sansu Math® was designed for the classroom but is equally well suited for the homeschool environment. The series is also a good resource for:
- Teacher and lesson study groups
- Professional development providers
- Researchers and curriculum developers
- Teacher educator and pre-service teachers
- After-school and enrichment providers